Friday, November 25, 2011

Oh, Nancy Drew, How I Love You

(photo source: thersic)


I went to my grandmother’s house for Thanksgiving weekend.  I spent more of my childhood there than at my own parent’s house.  Truthfully, she was more of parent to me that my own. I am thankful for having such a caring individual in my life.  Too bad her own daughter couldn’t have learned to be more like her.

I went my old “room” which still looks the same as it did when I left for college ten years ago.  Grandma says that she keeps it that way to remind her of our days together. Sometimes, I wish I were that young girl again.
The white bookshelf still sits in the corner of the room  It’s big and the shelves strain from the weight of books I amassed during my childhood.  The first shelf holds those books that were most dear to me.  I thought they’d be damaged or at least extremely dusty.

To my surprise there they were, still in pristine condition: Nancy Drew, my old friend.  I missed her more than I realized.  Each book, with their yellow spines and beautiful covers, still fill me with anticipation of all the adventures they contain.   Grandma dusted them regularly; she knew I’d want them someday.

She was right.  I always be grateful to Nancy Drew, she taught me to love reading and the magic of opening a book.  They were a gateway to a world beyond my small town, where I could go anywhere and be anybody.  I learned so many things about myself, others, and the world.

And I always be grateful to my grandmother, who taught me how to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment