Monday, July 19, 2010

Never Took A Writing Class Until Now...

I am a writer who never took a writing class. I know...I know. And I call myself a writer? Yes, I do. I may not have majored in a writing degree, but I did major in History. If you didn't know it,  history majors write till their fingers wither and disintegrate; in my case I have tough fingers!

All I did to obtain that wonderful little certificate, called a degree, from a big university was to write, write, write.  And if that were not enough, write some more.

My first big job reaffirmed this notion.  Soon after I was hired, I was handed a large stack of papers to research and in two weeks I was responsible for writing a federal grant.  Yikes!  I was told later that I was hired because I was a history major and it told my supervisor two things: I could write and I could research what I wrote.

Of course, there is that part of me that wanted to actually take a writing class. Just to see...maybe I was missing out on some fundamental that would make me a better writer.

My schedule is pretty full, thank the gods for the internet and online classes! I have been taking writing workshops from Writer's Digest and just signed up for Screenwriting at Gotham Writer's Workshop. Do I like them? You bet I do!

My advice to the newbie writer, or even someone who just wants to "brush up" on their skills....go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment